There seems to be some mystery about the average day of a professional sales recruiter. You know, the person dressed in business attire, sitting on the other side of the desk, looking down a pair of reading glasses while sifting through piles of resumes. Just how do they choose certain people to interview – is it some super-secret method that only recruiters know about?
The truth is that you have to be a little “mad” to be a sales recruiter, especially in today’s volatile economic climate. And I’m not referring to this as being crazy, but rather passionate about helping companies find the best candidates so they can thrive. Recruiting in the sales field is not exactly a glamorous career, like that of famous movie stars, television personal injury lawyers, and Nobel Prize winning scientists. But it does have its perks that are unique to the recruiting industry.
Here are some of the perks of being a sales recruiter to consider if you feel like taking the plunge:
- Free lunches and drinks over sales meetings with clients and prospects (on the company dime of course).
- Lots of freedom to work when and where you want to. I’ve even worked from my home office in my underwear (you don’t want to tell my clients that however as it’s a little weird!)
- Opportunities to mingle with some of biggest and best leaders of industry in your community and in some cases around the nation.
- The chance to change someone’s lifestyle for the better once you place an outstanding sales candidate into a brand new assignment ( and a happy client too).
- The ability to earn millions of dollars on top of an already great salary (ok I may have exaggerated a little, but recruiting earnings are pretty great as compared to other jobs).
If someone would have told me years ago that I would find myself working in a busy recruiting firm, I would have told them they were barking up the wrong tree. Recruiting seems to be too much about “sales” and less about making a difference. Yet, somewhere between the client meetings and candidate reviews, there lies a place where a sales recruiter can change the face of business as we know it today.
And have crazy fun while doing it!